Those muffins make a perfect on-the-go breakfast. They’re a mix of Banana Cinnamon Muffin and Cinnamon Roll, made with clean and simple ingredients.
So, how to make those muffins ? … Well, for this recipe, there are two parts ; the cinnamon banana base and the walnuts apple sauce filling and topping. There is a lot of cinnamon here and that’s why I love it !
My brother, who is far from being vegan, tried those muffins and he ended up eating the whole batch …. So, Surprise ! your non-vegan friends will not even guess that those are egg, dairy free and also healthy.
To make those muffins, you need:
– Maple Syrup and Coconut Sugar as sweeteners (you can also use only coconut sugar)
– Apple Sauce, Banana, and Coconut oil to keep it moist
– Whole Wheat Flour, Spelt Flour or All Purpose Flour work perfectly (I used gluten free all purpose flour)
Ingredients (for 8 muffins approximately)
For the Cinnamon Banana Base
– 1 3/4 Cup All purpose flour (you can use Spelt Flour or Whole Wheat Flour)
– 2 tbsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp nutmeg
– 1 cup ripe banana mashed
– 1 cup almond milk (or other non dairy milk)
– 1/2 cup maple syrup (honey works for non vegan)
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 5 tbsp melted coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
For the cinnamon walnut filling and topping
– 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
– 1/2 cup coconut sugar
– 2 tbsp cinnamon
– 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1) Start by preheating the oven at 180 degrees C and grease muffin tins with non sticky spray or oil
2) In a large bowl, mix the mashed banana, coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and well combined.
3) In another bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, baking powder and salt.
4) Add the flour mix (dry ingredients) to the banana mix (wet ingredients).
5) Prepare the filling by just combining the apple sauce, coconut sugar and cinnamon. keep on the side.
6) To create the layers in the muffin, there are 4 steps; add a layer of the batter on the bottom of your muffin tin then a layer of the cinnamon filling on top of it, then another layer of batter and another layer of cinnamon filling. On top of those 4 layers, add walnuts.
7) Bake in the oven for 25 minutes approximately